Monday, May 10, 2010

whoa! what? may 10th already!

I haven't given up on the balcony farming.

I'm still here despite the lack of posts...

I guess the feelings of doomed-failure I've been having have made me less excited to write blog posts. See, in trying to grow my seedlings from seeds I think I did a few things wrong (no grow light, tried to hardened them off too early and too fast, over-watered, clumsily dropped many) and now I find myself with just a few weak, stunted plants on my hands.

Today I went by CDN Tire's Garden Center and saw what nursery-grown seedlings look like. They are freakin' monsters!!!! I wouldn't feel so bad if my plants were even HALF as big as them but mine are like, less than a quarter of the size... maybe!!

So, time to take a different tack. I will have to buy some plants this year (mostly tomatoes and strawberries). I'm not going to do it until next weekend though. Since I will have to spend more money on this, I need to be selective. Also, I'm shy about the weather and nervous about my abilities to maintain the plants - so I'll let the nurseries handle them for another week yet.

It's not all bad news:

I am awesome at growing onions!

Some peas and beans and sunflowers are starting to grow!

I've even taken a second stab at the cucumbers!

Herbs: they seem hard to get started... I might have to buy some... but I'll keep trying with the seeds too.

No comments:

Post a Comment