Sunday, July 4, 2010

Progress Report

First, the bad news:

Below is an avocado pit. It should not look so ragged and chewed on but yesterday there was "an incident".

In the center of the pit is what remains of the young plant that had finally started to grow after weeks of waiting. Yesterday I watched as a chipmunk played around on the balcony. I saw him in the avocado pot but didn't think anything of it because chipmunks are so small and avocado pits are relatively big in comparison... I should have known better because before I knew it, the chipmunk had carried the pit over to another pot (destroying the growing plant) and was chowing down on it! When I realized this, Chipmunk went from cute to evil pretty quickly and I opened the balcony door for the cat to get out. Cat however, proved useless against Chipmunk. (His excuse is 7 years of indoor living... he's never been presented with the opportunity to hunt before.)



Onto happier things... these plants are the prettiest shade of blue doncha think? They are in a hanging pot I call "the meadow". Yesterday there were THREE birds cavorting in the meadow at one time! (Yesterday was a pretty exciting day on the balcony!)



Chili Peppers as big as my ring finger!! Chili Pepper, you get an A+!


My current favourite plant in the garden is the pickle bush (I guess technically it's cucumber - but it's a small pickling variety). I thought the thing was crawling with aphids when I first looked closely at the flowers... but I guess this is just what a very young pickle looks like!


The dill weed is out of control and we can't use it fast enough. It's gone to seed. SO PRETTY though!



And lastly, my all-star plant - the green bell pepper...
The first one is getting so big!
When I think of how emotionally invested I am in this pepper's growth it makes me realize how much I have taken all those grocery-store peppers for granted all these years... then it makes me realize I'm very silly for being emotionally invested in a bell pepper... but what if the chipmunk gets it? Gah! That would be a bad day around here!!


No comments:

Post a Comment